This 19.5 hour, competency-based workshop will be the foundation to the learner as a Certified Vestibular Specialist. The course will expand upon introductory coursework for vestibular dysfunction as it relates to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), and vestibular hypo-function, including assessment and rehabilitation. Canalith repositioning maneuvers (CRM) and vestibular rehabilitation therapy (VRT) protocols to manage identifiable vestibular and balance system disorders, including cortical and labyrinthine concussion will be addressed. Evidence-based integration into management principles will be disseminated throughout with practical application during the workshop.
- An overview of vestibular anatomy and physiology
- Understanding sensory integration of equilibrium
- Disorders affecting vestibular function
- Cortical and Labyrinthine Concussion Differentiation
- Interactive Concussion Management Strategies
- Extensive training materials for therapy programs
- Neurophysiology of Central Compensation
- VRT protocols: adaptation, habituation, and substitution for patient-centered therapy
- Psychogenic factors affecting VRT outcomes
- BPPV diagnosis & treatment – Canalith Repositioning Maneuvers with manual training
- Differentiate vestibular test abnormalities that identify patients who are “appropriate” candidates for therapy.
- Use diagnosis based strategies for designing and implementing therapy.
- Apply specific therapy protocols within individualized programs for patients.
- Initiate and implement a comprehensive vestibular rehabilitation program within their scope of practice.
- Develop Return-To-Play Decisions based on your assessment and management of concussion patients.
Physical Therapist, PTA, Occupational Therapist, COTA, Audiologist, Medical Doctors (MD, DO), Athletic Trainers.