This 19.5 hour, competency-based, workshop will be the foundation to the learner as a Certified Vestibular Specialist. The course will expand upon introductory coursework for vestibular dysfunction including the evaluation component and subsequent rehabilitation. Rehabilitation protocols to manage identifiable vestibular and balance system disorders, including cortical and labyrinthine concussion will be addressed. Treatment for all forms of benign paroxysmal positioning vertigo (BPPV) will be demonstrated with ample opportunity to develop competency and technique. Evidence-based integration into management principles will be disseminated throughout with practical application during the workshop. Following completion of this course and satisfactory results on the examination, the participant will be certified in Vestibular Rehabilitation.
- An overview of vestibular anatomy and physiology
- Understanding sensory integration of equilibrium
- Disorders affecting vestibular function
- Cortical and Labyrinthine Concussion Differentiation
- Interactive Concussion Management Strategies
- Extensive training materials for therapy programs
- Neurophysiology of Central Compensation
- VRT protocols: adaptation, habituation, and substitution for patient-centered therapy
- Psychogenic factors affecting VRT outcomes
- BPPV diagnosis & treatment – Canalith Repositioning Maneuvers with manual training
- Differentiate vestibular test abnormalities that identify patients who are “appropriate” candidates for therapy.
- Use diagnosis based strategies for designing and implementing therapy.
- Apply specific therapy protocols within individualized programs for patients.
- Initiate and implement a comprehensive vestibular rehabilitation program within their scope of practice.
- Develop Return-To-Play Decisions based on your assessment and management of concussion patients.
Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants, Athletic Trainers, Speech Language Pathologists, Audiologists, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses
*AIB Certification does not supersede an individual’s professional scope of practice as determined by their governing professional Association, Society or State License.